The Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Johannesburg is encouraging everyone to stand in support against of gender-based violence and to support the victims and their families.
This video is a reminder of our mission of being an evangelising community, serving God, humanity and all creations . During these tough times in our country, mission work is what we need to help society, and remembering our virtues as Christians.
WE CALL ON EVERYONE TO REPORT ABUSE: PHYSICAL, SEXUAL, VERBAL/EMOTIONAL, MENTAL/PSYCHOLOGICAL, NEGLECT AND FINANCIAL ABUSE.
If you or someone you know needs support or assistance, PLEASE contact these organisations who can provide assistance:
Stop Gender Violence
- The Line provides anonymous, confidential and telephonic counselling and referrals in all 11 official languages.
- Services: Telephonic counselling in all official languages
- 0800 150 150
Gender Based Violence Command Centre
- The Command Centre exists to assist survivors of gender-based violence by providing the assistance of qualified social workersin order to minimise further exposure to GBV.
- Services: Telephonic counselling, Emergency help, Expediting assistance to victims
- 0800 428 428
- SMS “help” to 31531
Human Trafficking Hotline
- Provides victims of trafficking and sexual assault with immediate assistance. Cases are treated with anonmity and confidentiality.
- Services: Counselling in all official languages, Safety planning, Access to legal and emergency services
- 0800 222 777
- This toll-free telephonic counselling line deals with crisis faced by both children and adults. These include sexual assault, child pornography, abuse, harrasment and various other matters.
- Services: Telephonic counselling, Online counselling, Online Counselling for the hearing impaired
- 0800 055 555
- Lifeline provides counselling for HIV/AIDS, depression, rape, suicide and relational matters. The helpline extends to provide assistance to survivors of crime.
- Services: Counselling,
- Helpline: 0861 322 322
- Crisis line: 011 728 1347
- The foundation provides free and confidential support to survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and child sexual abuse.
- Services: Crisis intervention, Counselling, Prevention awareness programmes
Suicide Crisis Helpline
- Provides toll-free telephonic assistance to people experiencing suicidal thoughts and depression. The helpline also provides support to those seeking to assist loved ones with depression.
- Services: Telephonic counselling
- 0800 12 13 14
- SMS “HOME” to 32312
South African Depression and Anxiety Group
- Established twenty years ago, SADAG is an NGO comprising of medical professionals specialising in mental health.
- Services: Telephonic counselling, Access to support groups and facilities
- 0800 567 567
- Netcare 911: 082911
- Cellphone: 112
- SAPS: 10111
- SAPS Stop Crime: 086 000 10111
- Fire department: 10178
- Government: 10177
- ER 24: 084-124
- Netcare 911: 082911