Dear Monsignor, Priests, Deacons, and lay faithful
RE: Celebration of the Chrism Mass
This letters serves to provide guidance and clarity on the celebration of the Chrism Mass under
the current Covid-19 lockdown restrictions and regulations which will be highly observed. The
Chrism mass will take place on the 01’t April 2021 (Holy Thursday) at 10h00am, at the
Cathedral of Christ the King.
With the current lockdown restrictions only the Bishops and the presbyters (Priests) are allowed
to attend. Presbyters are brought together and concelebrqte this Mass as witnesses and
cooperators with their Bishop in the consecration of the Chrism because they share in the sacred
ffice of the bishop in building up, sanctifying and ruling the people of God (ceremonial of
bishops, 274 p97).
Kindly note the following:
- Only the deacons who have been approached to assist serving at mass will be permitted.
- The distribution of the Holy Oils will take place immediately after the Chrism Mass and
to be collected by the Priest or Parish deacon.
- Old bottles will be highly appreciated for recycling purpose.
- Please bring along white Alb and simple yet elegant white stole. We kindly beseech you
to refrain from bringing along multicoloured albs and stoles.
- Please RSVP with liturgy Department H.o,D ( Mrs Annastacia Mphuthi)
We humbly implore the people of God to join us in worship and prayer through the live stream
channels (Archdiocesan news).
Yours in Christ
Fr. Boshom Mpetsheni
Vicar Liturgy Dept. Archdiocese of Johannesburg
From: Office of Divine Worship and Liturgy